The Ghent–Terneuzen Canal, also known as the “Sea Canal”  is a canal  linking Ghentt in Belgium  to the port of Terneuzen  on the Westerschelde estuary  in the Netherlands, thereby providing the former with better access to the sea.

The canal was constructed between 1823 and 1827 on the initiative of the Dutch King: Belgium (as it subsequently became) and the Netherlands had become a united country  under the terms agreed at the Congress of Vienna. After Belgium broke away in 1830, traffic to and from Belgium was blocked by the Dutch until 1841.

Between 1870 and 1885 the canal was enlarged to a depth of six and a half meters at its centre, and to a width of 17 meters at its base and 68 meters at the surface level: bridges were rebuilt accordingly along the Belgian sector.

The pictures are taken at the following locations:

  1. SasvanGent
  2. Sluiskil
  3. Terneuzen.Read More